Blue Wool Socks
Although the pattern says to knit 2, purl 1, I'm having a hard time with that.
I can knit with almost no discernible mistakes, which thrills me more than I can say, but each time I purl I am frustrated because the yarn twists. Thwarted by a beautiful, beautiful yarn that I do not want to pick at or destroy, I chose to do the only logical thing; I undid the mess I had created and started fresh.
Of course, having been so encouraged by my progress and the look of my tube (not yet a sock, friends, not a sock yet) so far, I plan on continuing by only knitting, boycotting the purl for this pair of socks and seeing how it turns out. I knitted a little tiny swatch (but it was what was recommended by the pattern!) to check the tension and got gauge but I somehow think that it isn't really going to help me much and I will end up with socks that will be too tight at the top, too loose in the heel and be good only for a strangely-shaped potted plant cosy. It's okay; they're 100% wool. They will shrink. Or they will fit someone. Somewhere.
I keep obsessively measuring my progress, and I've only been at it for a few days.
I can knit with almost no discernible mistakes, which thrills me more than I can say, but each time I purl I am frustrated because the yarn twists. Thwarted by a beautiful, beautiful yarn that I do not want to pick at or destroy, I chose to do the only logical thing; I undid the mess I had created and started fresh.
Of course, having been so encouraged by my progress and the look of my tube (not yet a sock, friends, not a sock yet) so far, I plan on continuing by only knitting, boycotting the purl for this pair of socks and seeing how it turns out. I knitted a little tiny swatch (but it was what was recommended by the pattern!) to check the tension and got gauge but I somehow think that it isn't really going to help me much and I will end up with socks that will be too tight at the top, too loose in the heel and be good only for a strangely-shaped potted plant cosy. It's okay; they're 100% wool. They will shrink. Or they will fit someone. Somewhere.
I keep obsessively measuring my progress, and I've only been at it for a few days.

6 Comments:
my dear thérèse,
can we for real be friends now? because i knit too. or did you already know that? have you been to my knitblog? do you know who else knits? margarita. are you teaching yourself, or is someone teaching you?
and it is super cute that you also have started your very own knitblog. may i link to it?
may i offer some unsolicited words?
if you are knitting in the round (which i'm guessing you are), all knits and no purls will work out just fine. it is called stockinette stitch, after all. instead of being ribbed, it will be smooth.
i do not know how to make socks. they sound difficult, what with the shaping and the binding and the grafting. my first project was a blanket. square and straight, and overly ambitious. kinda like me. but i highly recommend making scarves. short rows, and quick progress if you use big needles. they get you all confident, and then you've made something cute and useful and maybe even fabulous.
if your socks are 100% wool, be very, very wary of machine washing them. they might felt, which as you probably already know means they will shrink significantly and turn into felt. or did you already know that?
wow, this is interesting. i am excited for you. isn't that silly? but i am. partly because i won't be able to knit anymore for the next 3 years, what with work being a swirling, all-consuming vortex of torment and all.
My dear CB,
Yes. No. No. Yes. Yes. No.
*blush* Thank you, and yes you may link here.
I like the way the knits look, actually. All lined up in little Vs. If ever I get myself a digital camera, this blog will become a pictoral sort of thing. I want my first pair of socks to be smooth. Actually, I want the making of my first pair of socks to be smooth. You understand.
I started on a scarf but got bored. It's the same thing over and over and neverending. Plus I wasn't in love with the yarn; it was a gift. I'm really really excited about these socks. They do sound difficult but I am so excited and can't wait to learn more. People are so nice and friendly and helpful and encouraging; it's such a community!
oh, it is indeed a community. the knitting community is a little bit kooky, you'll notice. and they all seem to have cats.
my first project was a non-project. it was just a little cheap yarn that i blew through to become comfortable with knitting and purling repetitively. i strongly recommend this learning exercise but it is like playing scales on the piano.
it looks as though you are the type that's motivated by challenges. that's good! i hope you have fun finishing up your pair of socks. pictures of completed projects are a must (i kind of want to see this yarn you're so enamored of). and then maybe you can teach me how to make some!
Kooky is good; I fit in with kooky. And I have a cat. He lives at my parents' house and loves and attacks yarn in ways that fascinate and annoy me all at the same time.
I did the practice piano-scales-like thing. Bored me. Didn't pick up needles for months afterwards, so it was kind of pointless. I'm the kind who need to be excited about what she's knitting to continue. Very much motivated by challenges. And pretty pretty things.
I'm using a Briggs Little pattern called "Fine Socks." Simple directions so far, except that I'm not ribbing, I'm just knitting, so I'm making it even simpler. Also, I haven't really looked ahead and am afraid of words like "grafting." But I will seek help when I get stuck. There's got to be someone somewhere who can help.
Once I am finished, I will definitely post a picture.
Dear T and CB--
Yeay! We are three knitters united in the blogosphere!!
You know who can help you with socks? I can help you with socks. And words like "grafting", while sounding scary, and having scary directions, are actually pretty cool, and totally useful.
I want to link to you T, but as you will find out, (if you go to my blog), I am having linking issues. So I will just wish I could link to you.
Knitting is the best. It's cool to talk about, it's relaxing, and the entertainment lasts you a lifetime. Also you get to name your projects fun names (should you wish to do so). Like, I call a lot of them Mr. So and So (like, Mr. Blue, for the blue sweater "I am making.)
OOOh, and you should also go to the blog for yarnharlot.ca and read about a kitter who truly knows her stuff. Plus she posts pictures. And she's funny. And she's Canadian, like you.
Welcome!! Here is a cupcake from me to you!
Margarita,
Woo! Woo! Three! I feel so encouraged.
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally? You can help me? What a lovely offer. I've kind of just dived in there. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing but I play on seeing how thing look and learn that way.
I'm so excited. I love that you name your projects. Hee hee hee.
I love the yarn harlot! Hers was the first book I bought! By accident, and sheer coincidence! Then I saw a link on your blog, and went, and *gasp* was surprised to see that it was the same woman! I love her. Totally. heart. her.
Yummmm! Cupcake! *mouth full* Fanx! Hresmmmilk!
Post a Comment
<< Home